The Sabbath Day
Kindle (Mobi) Version ePub Version PDF Version
In this Bible Study we will look at what day is the Biblical and Scriptural Sabbath day of the week which should be being kept by all those that claim to be Christian’s or Christian churches. Compare the information in this Bible Study with your own Church’s’ practices and decide if they are keeping the Biblical Sabbath or the Day of the Sun God, that being Sunday.
NJB Exodus 20:7-11
8. Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
9. For six days you shall labour and do all your work,
10. but the seventh day is a Sabbath for Yahweh your God. You shall do no work that day, neither you nor your son nor your daughter nor your servants, men or women, nor your animals nor the alien living with you.
11. For in six days Yahweh made the heavens, earth and sea and all that these contain, but on the seventh day he rested; that is why Yahweh has blessed the Sabbath day and made it sacred.
This is the Commandment of Yahweh God from Exodus. But the question is, what exactly is the seventh day of the week that the Sabbath should be observed.
The Bible tells us:
NJB Genesis 2:2-3
2. On the seventh day God had completed the work he had been doing. He rested on the seventh day after all the work he had been doing.
3. God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on that day he rested after all his work of creating.
The Sabbath was made Holy by Yahweh God because it was the day that he himself rested after he had completed his creation of Heaven and Earth with all of their array (Genesis 2:1). He wants us to celebrate his work in the Creation of Heaven and Earth and all of their array with him as well as it being a reminder to us that it is Yahweh God who sanctifies us. This can be seen in the following verse:
NJB Exodus 31:12-13
12. Yahweh then said to Moses,
13. “Speak to the Israelites and say, `You will keep my Sabbaths properly, for this is a sign between myself and you for all your generations to come, so that you will know that it is I, Yahweh, who sanctify you.
Which day is the Sabbath day?
According to the calendar that we use, the seventh day of the week is Saturday. We operate by a Roman Calender and days of the week are named after pagan gods. Yet, in other languages it is demonstrated that their Saturday has a variation of the word “Sabbath”;
Arabic: Al Sabit
If one uses the Hebrew Calender, then it is even easier to know the Sabbath Day. The Hebrew Days operate on an Evening-to-Evening basis, which means that the seventh day or the Sabbath would start Friday Evening and End Saturday Evening (Sunset to Sunset). The reason for this occurring can be seen in Genesis 1:
NJB Genesis 1:5,8,13,19,23,31
5. God called light “day”, and darkness he called “night”. Evening came and morning came: the first day.
8. God called the vault “heaven”. Evening came and morning came: the second day.
13. Evening came and morning came: the third day.
19. Evening came and morning came: the fourth day.
23. Evening came and morning came: the fifth day.
31. God saw all he had made, and indeed it was very good. Evening came and morning came: the sixth day.
As can be seen from these verses, Yahweh God created through Evening and morning. As the next Evening arrived, the next day started. This is why the Sabbath is celebrated Friday Evening and Saturday Day (Until evening).
Why do most Christian Churches celebrate the Sabbath on Sunday, the first day of the week? This occurs because the Roman Catholic Church changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday because they wanted to disassociate themselves from the Jews and everything associated with Judaism and continue the tradition of worship on the day of the sun.
The Pagan Emperor Constantine made a law for the whole empire (AD 321) that Sunday should be kept as a rest day in all cities and towns; but he allowed an exception in favour of agriculture:“Let all judges and towns people, and the occupation of all trades rest on the venerable day of the Sun” (Catholic Encyclopaedia, article “Sunday”)
It is not surprising that the Emperor Constantine did this, he was a pagan and worshipped pagan gods after all, especially the Sun god.
Many Christian Churches try to teach that the Early Church kept Sunday as the Sabbath, yet the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are filled with verses about Our Lord Christ Jesus and his Apostles keeping the Hebrew Sabbath as the Law of Yahweh God declared and as the Commandments of Yahweh God command. The Book of Acts also is filled with examples of the early Church observing the Sabbath. Acts 13:14, 42, 44, Acts 16:13, Acts 17:2 and Acts 18:4 all demonstrate that Paul and the early Church kept the Hebrew Sabbath.
Many like to think that with Jesus’ coming, that the Laws of Yahweh God have changed, yet Christ Jesus himself said:
NJB Matthew 5:17-19
17. `Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete them.
18. In truth I tell you, till heaven and earth disappear, not one dot, not one little stroke, is to disappear from the Law until all its purpose is achieved.
19. Therefore, anyone who infringes even one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be considered the least in the kingdom of Heaven; but the person who keeps them and teaches them will be considered great in the kingdom of Heaven.
Jesus did not come to abolish the Laws of His God. In fact, Christ Jesus kept the Sabbath day himself, with his Apostles and the Early Church. It is even clear that the Sabbath will be observed on the New Earth, this can be seen in the following verse:
NJB Isaiah 66:22-23
22. For as the new heavens and the new earth I am making will endure before me, declares Yahweh, so will your race and your name endure.
23. From New Moon to New Moon, from Sabbath to Sabbath, all humanity will come and bow in my presence, Yahweh says.
These verses clearly demonstrate that the Sabbath will be observed on the new Earth Yahweh God creates for us.
Christians can be recognised by their Faith and their Works as well as their observance of Yahweh’s Commandments. Even Yahweh God tells us this.
Are you a true Christian? Do you follow the Commandment of Yahweh God and celebrate his Sabbath as he commanded us to do? If you do not keep Yahweh God’s commandments, then you will not see eternal life as scripture says:
NJB Matthew 19:16-17
16. And now a man came to him and asked, “Master, what good deed must I do to possess eternal life?”
17. Jesus said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is one alone who is good. But if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
NJB John 14:15
15. If you love me you will keep my commandments.
NJB 1 Corinthians 7:19
19. To be circumcised is of no importance, and to be uncircumcised is of no importance; what is important is the keeping of God’s commandments.
NJB 1 John 2:4
4. Whoever says, “I know him” without keeping his commandments, is a liar, and truth has no place in him.
NJB 1 John 3:24
24. Whoever keeps his commandments remains in God, and God in him.
And this is the proof that he remains in us: the Spirit that he has given us.
Do you keep all of Yahweh God’s Commandments?
PLEASE, now that you have read this article, do not just take our word for it. Get your Bible, look at it and read the Scriptures for yourself, and feel free to get our Book of Bible Articles or look at our articles website for further Bible Studies and Articles.