The Trinity Doctrine: Biblical Truth or Hellenic Philosophy?
Kindle (Mobi) Version ePub Version PDF Version
Due to the title and effectively the nature of this Bible study, it will be split up into various headings with a table of contents linking the parts and sections being discussed, for the website, due to its length, we have seperated it into seperate webpages for each heading. This topic is extremely touchy because it’s a belief that has been held by Christians, even had Christians murdered over its unbelief for so many centuries. Due to this reason, it was felt that a lot of the history as well as the scriptural and philosophical discussions surrounding this doctrine needed to be discussed, allowing people to get a full understanding of just how this doctrine came about while looking at whether it is actually Biblical or not.
The Christian churches the world over have generally and consistently just accepted the doctrinal belief without even questioning whether the doctrine is Biblically or Scripturally accurate, no matter what denomination they may be, and those that have questioned its Biblical and Scriptural legitimacy are generally harassed, abused, attacked or insulted on a constant basis. This harassment has even at times caused some christian denominations to change their beliefs just to be accepted.
The main question of why this doctrine should be questioned however is to see if there is any real scriptural justification for actually believing in it, if there are none, then the question needs to be asked, as scripture says:
2 Timothy 3:15-17 NJB
15. and how, ever since you were a child, you have known the holy scriptures, from these you can learn the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
16. All scripture is inspired by God and useful for refuting error, for guiding people's lives and teaching them to be upright.
17. This is how someone who is dedicated to God becomes fully equipped and ready for any good work.
2 Timothy 3:16 KJV
16. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
Through this Bible Study of the Doctrine of the Trinity, you will see that its creation was never based on any evidence from Scripture, but based purely on Hellenic / Greek Philosophical reasoning. There are many sources, both modern, and old, which confirm that there is no justification for the concept of the Doctrine of the Trinity in Scripture. This requires us to fully investigate what it is, what it says and how it came about, with so-called scriptural references added to justify the doctrine later on. When placed under direct investigation of Scripture itself, you will find the doctrine does not hold up as a Biblically inspired concept. It should be kept clearly in mind throughout this Bible Study what the Bible clearly tells us about Philosophy.
1 Corinthians 2:2-6 NJB
2. I was resolved that the only knowledge I would have while I was with you was knowledge of Jesus, and of him as the crucified Christ.
3. I came among you in weakness, in fear and great trembling
4. and what I spoke and proclaimed was not meant to convince you by philosophical argument, but to demonstrate the convincing power of the Spirit,
5. so that your faith should depend not on human wisdom but on the power of God.
6. But still, to those who have reached maturity, we do talk of a wisdom, not, it is true, a philosophy of this age or of the rulers of this age, who will not last long now.
1 Corinthians 2:13 NJB
13. And these are what we speak of, not in the terms learnt from human philosophy, but in terms learnt from the Spirit, fitting spiritual language to spiritual things.
Colossians 2:8 NJB
Live according to the true faith in Christ, not according to false teaching
8. Make sure that no one captivates you with the empty lure of a "philosophy" of the kind that human beings hand on, based on the principles of this world and not on Christ.
2 Timothy 2:16-18 NJB
16. Have nothing to do with godless philosophical discussions -- they only lead further and further away from true religion.
17. Talk of this kind spreads corruption like gangrene, as in the case of Hymenaeus and Philetus,
18. the men who have gone astray from the truth, claiming that the resurrection has already taken place. They are upsetting some people's faith.
The Bible warns us of listening to philosophical discussions, acknowledging them as the truth and confusing them for the truth, yet telling us specifically that they are wrong. All doctrines should be checked against scripture, no matter how long ago they may have been created and dictated, for in many cases, doctrines were created using philosophical concepts rather than allowing the Truth of the Bible to speak for itself.
There is no specific requirement for each person to read this whole Bible study, but it is certainly recommended, to ensure they gain a better and fuller understanding of why this doctrine has so many problems with it, not just biblically and scripturally, but historically as well as how the doctrine developed out of a contamination of Hellenic Greek philosophy, which the Bible actually warns against regularly as has been seen.
Pagan Trinity Influence - Page 2
Greek and Hellenic Philosophy - page 3
The Nicaean Creeds Wording - page 6
Conclusion and Bibliography - page 10
PLEASE, now that you have read this article, do not just take our word for it. Get your Bible, look at it and read the Scriptures for yourself, and feel free to get our Book of Bible Articles or look at our articles website for further Bible Studies and Articles.